Jelly and a burned finger

10:29:00 AM

Blueberries, blueberries and blueberries… It looks like I only write about these. I know, but I’m doing it again. I had to weigh them so we could exactly know how many kilo’s I had gathered a few days ago. I have to admit. I didn’t know how to make jam… Gloops! Was I supposed to stand three hours in the kitchen and swet? Or supposed to check every 10 seconds so it won’t boil over? I was glad I didn’t have to. Even though it wasn’t exactly 4 kilo’s berries, we just put four packages of Gelfix from Dr. Oetker. It’s a mix from galantine and sugar so it makes it easy to gelatinize. So far my professional explanation about the Gelfix. I would recommend using it.
While I was weighing the berries, my father-in-law wanted to go for a walk in the mountains so he could pick some lingonberries. They’re also called cowberries or partridgeberries. I wanted them since they’re delicious. But who was supposed to get them? I was weighing berries and my husband was hanging in the sofa. I know my husband loves nature and walks. When he’s in nature, he’s like a young dog, a puppy who’s free to explore the world. So why not push him to go with his dad? At first he wasn’t that convinced, since I wasn’t joining… But I was glad he went because he got to pick a lot & three ice-cream boxes full of cantharelles and it’s all for free!

So I stayed at my parents-in-law making jelly for the first time. My mother-in-law showed me how I had to can the jelly.
  1. Let the sink fill with water. Have a small cloth nearby.
  2. Hold the jar a little slant so it’s easy to put in the hot liquidity.  
  3. Put the jar in the water filled sink and use the cloth for cleaning up the spilled jelly on the sides of the jar.
  4. Put the lid on the glass and close it.
  5. Put the closed jar upside down so the air goes out of the jar. Now you can conserve the jelly for a long time because it’s hermetically sealed.
  6. I have one last tip for you guys: Don’t talk when you’re trying to concentrate on jarring your jelly. Keep your mind focused on the things you’re doing and don’t look away. You could burn your fingers. I speak from experience…

You Might Also Like

0 reacties

Me

Me

Popular Posts